<span class="highlight">Cape</span> <span class="highlight">York</span> planning - <span class="highlight">camping</span> Cairns, Cooktown and the Tip

Submitted: Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 22:32
ThreadID: 25388 Views:3499 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

heading off to Cape York in a month - 5 vehicles, 13 kids and 10 adults. Have the route all planned and now looking for advice on where to stay in Cairns, Cooktown and the Tip. We prefer to camp with reasonable amenities. Cairns will be on the way up and back 2 nights each way. Cooktown 2 nights on way up only and 3 nights at the tip. (thats the plan at this stage).

Have heard Punsand Resort is not so good anymore so interested in Loyalty Beach as alternative. I understand PR has a pool - good for the kids - but no fresh drinking water.

suggestions will be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: eerfree - Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 22:57

Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 22:57
Gazza
In Cooktown try Cooktown Caravan Park (first one you come to from the South)on the right hand side,you may need to book with so many people but worth it,also NO sandflies!
eerfree
AnswerID: 124032

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 23:45

Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 23:45
Up that way this time last year. Punsand had deteriorated from 2years previously as too had the Seisia Campground. Loyalty Beach is one on the move up. Clean open and quiet. A word of caution though it can get a bit crowded when the motorbike tours are in town. Seisia is getting run down and is very noisy close to the wharf. The buggers unload/load ships throughout the night and about 3 nights a week.
Good bush camping up the tip - and the cost of this is covered in you ferry fee. Also on the camping at the commercial sites of Bramwell Station and Bramwell Junction and Weipa is fair to very good.
AnswerID: 124038

Reply By: Trekkie - Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 04:18

Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 04:18
Cooktown Caravan Park is good.

Just North of Cooktown is a place called Elim Beach - it is run by a great indiginous guy called Eddie - He is a wealth of knowledge and has some good stories - He has a great camp site right on the water under palm trees. There are toilets and showers (clean but not the same standard as most caravan parks) You need to go via Hope Valley to get a Permit - well worth the small diversion.

Good caravan park at Coen - although there is a great camp area north of the town on the river - also at other main places on the Telegraph Road. But if you stay at them you will miss out on the great adventure of camping by some of the most picturesque streams etc you will see - have a look at the camp sites on a Hema map eg Bertie Creek, Bridge Creek

Seisia/Umagico/Bamaga is poor - you wouldn't go there if there were no other sights to see.
AnswerID: 124043

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 09:30

Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 09:30
Hi Gazza, No doubt,some of your adventurers have done the "Tip" before,but,for those still in your party who have'nt,if you want,I can post you a video on tape (remember them) or I may even have it on DVD of our great trip with Scott & Mary-Anne of Guides To Adventure,true professionals,in 1989..Sure,times have changed (we had to build a drum/log raft to get rigs over Wenlock River..Bridged now ) but the geo features remain basicily the same..My email rockyone @mac.com I rarely watch my own trip videos,as I just want to saddle up and go again..!MPG:6!
AnswerID: 124051

Reply By: Willykj - Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 12:41

Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 12:41
Hi Gazza,

We were at the Cape last year & initially went to Lloyalty Beach (in line with many recommendations) and we found it hopelessly overcrowded & noisy. After 2 nights transferred to Seisia which we loved. The facilities were very good & we did not find any problem with the noise from the wharf operations.

Willy
AnswerID: 124066

Reply By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 16:34

Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 16:34
Hi GazzaS,

Went to the Cape last year. If you dont like crowds and want somewhere really nice to camp in Cooktown, we stayed at the Endeavour Falls Caravan Park which is a bit further on than Cooktown, but on the right route to the top.

In early September there were only two other couples there. Excellent amenities, and the grounds were magnificent - palms and grass and trees. At the back of the camping area were the Endeavour Falls and a wonderful pool where you could swim - kids might like this!

At the Cape we stayed at Loyalty Beach after looking at Punsand Bay and Seisa - definite NO to Seisa - dirt and people everywhere. We had a site right on the beach at Loyalty and there weren't many there - but September is the end of the season. Nevertheless, we would stay there again.

You'll have a great time.

PS As far as Cairns is concerned, I would rather stay at Port Douglas - the Glengarry Caravan Park is excellent - new pool and good shade - great for kids.

Lynn
AnswerID: 124087

Reply By: Member - Marion C (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 07, 2005 at 12:28

Sunday, Aug 07, 2005 at 12:28
hello
we went up last year stayed at lake Placid park in Cairns, side of town close to Port Douglas great amenities, pool and on Lake. We also stayed at Loyalty beach had a great time, have a wonderful time as I know you will, keep safe.
Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 124187

Sponsored Links